Our Saint Lucia Hotels are Now Green Globe Gold Certified
Green Globe is the premier worldwide certification program developed specifically for the travel and tourism industry. Green Globe assists organizations to improve their economic, social and environmental sustainability while being rewarded and recognized for it.
The Green Globe Standard provides Hotel and Resort organizations with a framework to conduct a comprehensive assessment of their environmental sustainability performance, through which they can monitor improvements and achieve certification
Three of the Bay Gardens group’s five properties have been awarded this Gold Global Certification for sustainable tourism, the first and only awarded on the island of St. Lucia - Bay Gardens Beach Resort and Spa, Bay Gardens Hotel and Bay Gardens Inn. Green Globe’s Gold Member status is awarded to members that have been certified for five consecutive years. This prestigious designation is only possible when a member meets all requisite criteria within the Green Globe Standard for Travel & Tourism (or their sectorial Standard) and have completed the independent and mandatory onsite and desktop audits in alternating years.
Some of the steps that we have taken in achievement of such a distinguished certification include:
- Phasing out the use of plastic in favor of biodegradable vessels and utensils made from wood, paper, compostable plastic and sugar cane bagasse.
- Ending the use of all Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) products on all our properties.
- Installing GEM Link occupancy sensors in its guestrooms, leading to a 20 percent energy use reduction per occupied room.
- Converting all our air conditioning units to energy efficient inverter units.
- Implementing linen reuse and recycle programs to reduce the amount of water utilized per occupied room.
- Changing all lighting energy efficient LEDs across all of our properties.
- Participating in the SLHTA's Virtual Agricultural Clearing House (VACH) which helps to foster better linkages between hotels and local farmers.
- Implementing a farm to table approach when designing our menus in support of local farmers and to reduce our food miles.
With three of our four properties being Green Globe Gold certified, Bay Gardens Resorts remains committed in support of environmental protection by playing part in ensuring a greener planet throughout our operations, thus improving our social, environmental and economic sustainability.