Recipe of the Month – Lucian Fruity Easter Bun
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped mixed fruits of your choice (soaked in Bounty rum or cake wine)
3/4 cup Vita malt (or other malt beverage)
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tbsp mixed spice (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Grated Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1. Using a saucepan, heat the Vita malt, sugar, butter, molasses, Vanilla Essence and spices on low flame, ensure that you stir until all ingredients are properly dissolved.
2. Cool mixture before adding in the egg so as to prevent scrambling the egg. Mix together well.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder and add in batches to the wet mixture, mixing well between batches
4. Drain and add chopped fruit mixture and mix well.
5. Bake in a greased and floured loaf pan at 350F for 1 hour (Test for doneness after 50 minutes).
Please note: fruits are best when soaked before hand